Seven Things God Hates, Seven Things He Loves
Greetings and welcome back to Proverbs Pathways – finding your way God’s way. King Solomon in Proverbs 6 writes a scary list – things our God hates, things detestable to Him. And conversely by implication, seven things our God loves, things lovable to Him! Now, Scripture says that, “God is love” and “For God so loved the world…“. Let’s clarify – God cannot love evil or evil deeds. However, in His merciful grace he loves the one who does the evil. Though He loves us as we are, He loves us too much to leave us as we are. His love transforms us as we trust Him and His Son of love, Jesus Christ. He demonstrated the unmatachable love of God toward us on the cross of love/hate. He hated the sin/evil but loved the sinner – thanks be to God! Exhibit #1 is the wonderful Christ of the cross! His amazing love in us causes us to hate evil too! As Scripture says, “Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love.” (Romans 12:9)
One personal sign of godliness is that we begin to love what God loves and hate what God hates – never hating people but hating the deeds. Let’s look at the hate/love list in Proverbs 6:16-19:
- Haughty eyes… eyes that look down on others to lift themselves up.
- Humble eyes… eyes that look upon us to bring us up – all the way up to Jesus.
- A lying tongue… a talker who flim-flams, deceives, mutilates truth, manipulates.
- A truthful tongue… a talker who builds up by truth-telling, magnifies honesty.
- Hands that shed innocent blood… A violent person who violates without regret.
- Hands that protect innocence… A virtuous person who values God-given life.
- Heart that devises wicked schemes… A dark-hearted schemer out to get you.
- Heart that helps you with your dreams… A big heart out to help you.
- Feet that rush into evil… Speedy, reckless, destructive sinners – – wreckers.
- Feet that run to good… Speedy, helpful, constructive friends – – helpers.
- A false witness… One who swears he saw what he didn’t to get what he wants.
- A faithful witness… One who sees with clarity and speaks with verity.
- One who creates dissension among brothers… a “divide and conqueror”.
- One who creates devotion among brothers… a peace maker, division breaker.
You must read Proverbs 6:16-19 for yourself. Come to Jesus and trust him for a “new birth”. This birth from above brings you a new nature to overcome your worldly one that dominates your thoughts, emotions and will. Already born-again? Well, the victory goes to the faithful who follow through every day with Jesus Christ – this is your birthright – living out of your new life! May God help us each and all to do it!
Chuck Brannon, Pastor
P.S.: Share your story or have a question? Let me hear from you.