Let’s begin with with John’s words of victory in I John 5:4: “…for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world,even our faith. Who is he that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.” (I John 5:4,5)
What is meant by “the world”? Anything and anybody anywhere at anytime who speaks, lives or acts contrary to God’s truths, purposes, world view and love as a way of life. Another way of saying it is this: Those who war against God will also war against you! This is the way of the world system. If we don’t overcome, we will be overcome. Let’s dig into some “victory realities”:
> Everyone born of God overcomes the world! We are born into the world and its ways – a child of it. Upon becoming a Christian, or as Jesus said, being born again spiritually from above (born of God’s Spirit), we receive power to overcome our worldly birth and carnal way of life. We’re empowered to live a new, different life with Christian vision and values. We begin to be overcomers!
> Our personal faith in Christ enables us to overcome the world system. Faith initiates spiritual power from God for living. Deploy it! Start trusting Christ and start taking victories. Are you aware that Jesus never lost a battle? Even over death. Follow Him, He will lead you to victory. Faith means employing and deploying His truths every day to win spiritual victories, living as a winner. We can live in the world – but refuse to allow the world to live in us – that’s victory through overcoming faith. Satan tempted Jesus with the worldly way – but Jesus triumphed. You and I can too.
> Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God overcomes the world.
Jesus is divine, God in flesh! The Son of God is God the Son. Thinking of Jesus merely as a philosopher, a religious teacher, a progressive thinker or rebel to the establishment gets you nowhere. God the Son doesn’t accept second-hand, watered down compliments. It’s LORD or nothing. Note how overcoming is conditioned upon believing truth about Jesus. Which would you prefer in the worldly battles of life – a mere philosopher repeating ideas with a new twist – or God the Son releasing power, truth and victories to you?
> Note these winning ways applied to life’s battles:
1) Victorious people know that it’s not merely the “will to win” that wins – it’s the will to prepare and pay the price of winning that wins. Apostle Paul said, “I have fought a good fight….”
2) Victorious people know that the price of victory never changes – courage to act in the face of our fears. This costs something.
3) Victorious people learn to defeat their negative or self-destructive or fearful or weak self constantly and repeatedly – celebrating every victory.
4) Victorious people can lose battles – but with an eye to come back and win. Every defeat teaches us how to win the next time out.
5) Victorious people hang out with people who want to win – “…many advisers make victory sure.” (Proverbs 11:14)
6) Victorious people are tenacious and audacious in pursuit of goals God has given them – “He holds victory in store for the upright.”. (Proverbs 2:7)
7) Victorious Christians will win the last, ultimate victory with the resurrected Christ – “The last enemy to be destroyed is death.” (I Corinthians 15:26)
8) Victorious people are mentally tough, vocally assertive, saying, “With God we will gain the victory.” (Psalm 60:12) And when victory happens, they give God the glory.
Yours to win in life through Christ and for Christ.
P.S.: Got any victory stories to share? Let me hear from you.