Today’s letter is “Y” for YOKE. A yoke is often used to join two animals together to accomplish a task. For example, two oxen pulling together. It’s fitted across the neck/shoulders to first harness power, then release it twice over. I’ve chosen it because it’s uncommon. It produces uncommonly good results – especially the way Jesus applies it our relationship with Him. He said, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30) What does He mean?
Let’s face it, trying to figure out religion can be a taxing, tiring, troubling experience. Trying to get to the truth can make us weary, wary and wear us out – fast. We try to join/engage/get together/enter/apply or “yoke together” with religion – but the yoke chafes, burns, hurts, hinders, confuses, slows us down and drains our energy. We thought “knowing God” was going to be a great and good thing! But we drop the burden we don’t want to carry anymore. We want to rest and recover from our exhausting, fruitless search for real, invigorating, spiritual life. Then comes Jesus! He’s got words for a weary, burdened soul. He talks to us. “Come to me”, He says. “Take my yoke”, He says. “Learn from me”, He says. “I am gentle”, He says. “I am humble in heart”, He says. “My yoke is easy”, He says.“My burden is light”, He says. “I will give you rest”, He says.
I can tell you from experience – HE means what He says. I’m in the yoke with Him. All His promises are true. I’m resting in the Lord, not wrestling with Him every day. Why does it work for anyone, everyone who will “take the yoke” with Jesus?
– Jesus is God’s Son – yoke with Him and you’ll know what salvation really means.
– Weary, burdened by it all? Open your eyes/ears, Jesus is there beside you.
– Take His yoke and break out of your unhappy bondage and heavy burden.
– Learn from Jesus and get the pieces to your life’s puzzles – that means peace.
– Responding “in kind” brings results. Almighty and All-powerful God engages you gently and humbly in Jesus. If you drop the pride, cynicism and excuses and come gently and humbly to Him, you will find soul-satisfying REST. Otherwise, expect to rumble without end and life to be a jumble – self-made.
– Take Jesus, trust Jesus, and find His unmatchable love, forgiveness, strength for living, hope, a new future, understanding, joy, self-control, peace and REST for the yoke of life and the burden of living – now and forever.
How can you do this right now? Read Jesus’ words again ’til they get into your heart. Then say, “Jesus, I’m weary and burdened, I want to take you and your yoke…”. Then let your heart speak to God, true words will spill out and you will find WHO you’ve been searching for. Now’s the time – talk to God, He hears. You’ll see.
To know Him is life. Chuck
P.S.: Share your “Yoke” prayer? Let me hear from you.